The Policy Analyst will conduct research and analysis of policies and legislation that advance the organization’s vision in various policy areas, with a particular focus on labor and workforce related policies including employee rights, employment regulations, welfare programs, minimum wage laws, etc. Reporting to one of AFP’s Policy Managers, the successful candidate will work collaboratively with other members of the team to craft analysis, summaries, reports and other content related to policy positions, current legislation, policy proposals, and provide research to support the network’s priority initiatives. The candidate should have a commitment to the principles of the organization.
• Work to execute our policy strategies, including the area of labor and workforce, by producing analysis and research material to assist in the production of policy products, including but not limited to issue summaries, issue briefs, “white papers,” advocacy tools, testimony, opinion and commentary, and any other material needed to support the organization's engagement efforts.
• Assist with the development of letters of support for legislation at the federal and state level, as well as internal briefing documents for network staff and management on an as-needed basis.
• Aid in the translation of complex issues into talking points/written text for communications and grassroots teams.
• Provide policy recommendations for new and existing organization policy positions.
• Work with state chapters to better understand the impact of current federal and state legislation and regulatory policies.
• Assist on other special projects as needed.
• Other duties as assigned.
• A minimum of three years of experience working in a related field (i.e. policy analysis, Capitol Hill position, etc.).
• Bachelor’s Degree
• 2 years or more experience with labor and workforce related policy including employee rights, employment regulations, welfare programs, minimum wage laws, etc.
• Outstanding written and oral communication skills.
• Strong analytical, research and problem-solving skills.
• Ability to work independently, as well as collaboratively, in a fast-paced, deadline-driven, environment.
• Integrity, humility, and an entrepreneurial attitude.
• A positive attitude and an earnest interest in providing good customer service to our members, partners and state chapters