The Senior Health Policy Analyst will conduct research and analysis of policies and legislation that advance the organizations vision of better health, for more people, at a lower cost, and assist with advocacy efforts surrounding health care policy within the broader network as necessary. Reporting to one of AFP’s Policy Managers, the candidate will work collaboratively with other members of the team to craft analysis and other content related to current legislation, policy proposals, and provide research to support the network’s policy initiatives. The candidate should have a commitment to the principles of the organization – specifically, a firm commitment to removing barriers to opportunity to create a society of mutual benefit where people succeed by helping others.
• Work to execute a strategy to bring market competition to health care by producing analysis and research material to assist in the production of policy products, including but not limited to issue summaries, issue briefs, “white papers,” advocacy tools, testimony, opinion and commentary, and any other material needed to support the organization's engagement efforts.
• Assist with the development of letters of support for legislation at the federal and state level, as well as internal briefing documents for network staff and management on an as-needed basis.
• Aid in the translation of complex issues into talking points/written text for communications and grassroots teams.
• Provide policy recommendations for new and existing organization policy positions.
• Work with state chapters to better understand the impact of current federal and state legislation and regulatory policies.
• Assist on other special projects as needed.
• Other duties as assigned.
• A minimum of five years of experience working in a related field (i.e. policy analysis, Capitol Hill position, etc.).
• Experience with the supply-side of health care policy including issues like direct primary care, certificate of need, scope of practice, telemedicine, and related issues.
• Outstanding written and oral communication skills.
• Strong analytical, research and problem-solving skills.
• Ability to work independently, as well as collaboratively, in a fast-paced, deadline-driven, environment.
• Integrity, humility, and an entrepreneurial attitude.
• A positive attitude and an earnest interest in providing good customer service to our members, partners and state chapters